Pages

Sunday 14 March 2010

Mothers Day - How was it for you?


Ah Mothering Sunday.

Doncha just heart it?

A lie-in, croissants in bed, home made cards, chocolates, and dinner out in a restaurant.

An absolutely dream day on paper.

The reality...

Well, I'm not going to dwell on that. Let's just say we survived and we'll keep it a little more low key next year (read 'skip the meal out bit').

The pressure to Have A Good Time is immense, but to be honest, it's just another day (the washing doesn't wash itself, neither does the house tidy itself up) but the focus gives you the chance to reflect on this whole motherhood lark.

All I know is that I'm truly blessed to have my three chiddlers. They might keep me well and truly on my toes, but when I think about how lucky we are to even have children, it puts it into perspective.

My own mother is an inspiration to me, and having come from a family of six siblings, I have so much respect for her. How the Dickens did she (and my father) do it?

This is what the fountain of knowledge that is called Wikipedia says about the word 'Mother'.

" A mother is a biological and/or social female parent of an offspring.[1] Because of the complexity and differences of a mothers' social, cultural, and religious definitions and roles, it is challenging to define a mother to suit a universally accepted definition."

Ain't that the truth?

6 comments:

  1. Happy Mothers Day to you! I guess a mother has many different meanings, in my case, a protector. But there's nothing like that unconditional love you feel for your kids.

    CJ xx
    p.s. I totally adore Oscar, he's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided, after an absolutely awful one last year, to chill out go with the flow and invite other people who would be missing their Mums to ours for a BBQ. Quite a lot of people can't be with their Mums due to distance, rows, or their Mums have passed away. In the end 20 people and kids turned up and we had a blast. Word spread around those in our street and expats at hubs work. I made loads of food and thankfully most of those who came bought food with them too.

    It was a really relaxed long lunch with loads of laughs and chat. Fantastic day was had by all. I am absolutely knackered now though! Might do the same next year, if I have recovered by then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow utterlyscrummy, that sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a Mother is certainly challenging and defiantly something that just cant be defined by any other word other then 'Mother' . I do count myself lucky everyday to have a Son! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  5. think Mother's Day can raise expectations. I was right to only hope for a small improvement in behaviour, breakfast in bed and some cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello.

    I left you a comment on BMB last night but I liked what you said about expectations so have quoted you and put a link in something I have just posted at

    http://www.saffiafarr.com/?p=403


    And yes, Utterly Scrummy, what an amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete